Saturday 13 October 2012

" There I shall find ears attentive to my tale of sorrow"(c) The Coal Hole

The Coal Hole occupies a corner of the Savoy Building.  The theme of stone, dark wood and leaded light windows , carries on into the street level bar. The ceiling is very high with heavy black beams. Hanging banners suggest something medieval, but no, it was decorated in 1904.
The cellar bar is open in the evenings and has its own entrance in the Strand. It was in the basement of the pub's former incarnation that the Wolf Club was founded, by actor and lush Edmund Kean.
" There I shall find ears attentive  to my tale of sorrow, hands open to relieve and closed  for my defence. Not to fatigue my hearers longer  with prolix rhetoric, I conclude with my sincere hope  and prayer for the successful increase of honorable  members to this (as yet) imperfect society; and  that every brother may feel health, prosperity, and  happiness will ever be the wish of its founder, and  study to promote, as far as his duty in this club  extends."  Edmund Kean
Supposedly a place where hen-pecked husbands could enjoy a sing-song, its real role was less innocent, and involved heavy drinking and loose women.










No comments:

Post a Comment