Saturday 11 February 2012

“Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.” (c)

Villiers Street  is a street in London connecting The Strand with The Embankment. It was built by Nicholas Bourbon in the 1670s on the site of York House, the property of George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham whose name the street commemorates.
   Rudyard Kipling occupied chambers in No. 43 (formerly 19) over the shop of "Harris the Sausage King" in 1889–91,  and here wrote the partly autobiographical novel The Light That Failed, which contains references to the area. Kipling remarks that:

"From my desk I could look out of my window through the fanlight of Gatti’s Music-Hall entrance, across the street, almost on to its stage. The Charing Cross trains rumbled through my dreams on one side, the boom of the Strand on the other, while, before my windows, Father Thames under the Shot Tower walked up and down with his traffic. "












No comments:

Post a Comment